Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Mother's Day and being a mom

I celebrated Mother's Day with my Mom, and as a mom this year.

It was a simple celebration - my family bought food over to our place as I was still in confinement.

We then had a cake, celebrating motherhood.





I guess I really have a new found respect for all moms - and dads as well this year.

Becoming a parent has really opened my eyes to a whole new world of work and sacrifice in caring for a newborn.



Take breastfeeding for instance.

The journey wasn't smooth for me - Christian had initial problems latching in the first couple of days as he kept falling asleep while feeding.

When he finally caught up with enough sleep after that, he was hungry and impatient at feeds, which caused him to get frustrated and that posed even more difficulty latching on.

I sought help with Mount Alvernia's lactation consultants and after we learnt to latch properly, he fed for a whole hour at the parent craft centre!

But after a day of feeding like there's no tomorrow, I discovered that I had cracked and sore nipples that were even bleeding a little.

After enduring the pain and having the nipples recover, there was also a couple of days where Christian fed almost round the clock, every hour.

By this time I was so stressed about it I had already broken down a few times and I thank Ewan for always being there for me and encouraging me.

Breastfeeding is just a small aspect of motherhood - the beginning. There's also the sleepless nights, endless diaper changes and worry that something was wrong with Baby.

I can only imagine what else my parents went through as they brought us up from infancy to childhood, adolescence and adulthood.

But then as a mom now, I also realise that parents would simply doing anything for their kids :)

2 comments:

  1. You're doing great, dear! I think if we keep it up, Christian will grow up just fine. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes we would! Oh, you lost the previous comment. It's ok, here's another!

    Our first double Mother's Day with your Mum too. :) I can;t wait to show Christian all these thigs when he get oldr. :)

    ReplyDelete