Search This Blog

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Connor

Connor

So, here’s Connor’s birth story.

As I approached the weekend I turned 37 weeks pregnant, I knew that it was just about time. No, I didn’t have any contractions or pain, yet, but because Christian was born at exactly 37 weeks, I knew that Connor would come at right about the same time.

It was Friday, 22 March, and we were at Dr Khi’s for my regular gynae check. She did a vaginal examination and I was 2cm dilated ― nothing surprising, because by the way Christian’s birth went, I dilate pretty easily, I guess!

She told me to go back, get some rest, and that it was likely that baby would come the following week.

An appointment was made for the following Wednesday, but when Tuesday rolled around, I just had the feeling that I’d dilated even further, so made arrangements to pay Dr Khi another visit.

I’d gone to the office earlier in the morning, did a couple of hours of work, clearing my desk and handing over the month’s stories. Mum took over watching Christian, and with the hospital bag packed, we went to Thomson Medical Centre.

All this time, no painful contractions ― but I did have Braxton hicks.

After another check with Dr Khi, we found out that I was 4cm dilated, and she told us to head to the delivery suite immediately. As in now. No lunch, nada, unlike how we could go for a leisurely subway lunch just before Christian’s birth. It felt a little weird, as I still hadn’t felt any contractions.

So, at exactly 37 weeks ― on Holy Tuesday nonetheless (same as Christian in 2011) ― we were going to see our second son, Connor!

I was made to poo, put on an epidural, and Dr Khi came to burst the water bag at around 2pm.

Excited to see Connor soon!

Things went smoothly, other than the fact that his heart rate wasn’t increasing as it was expected to each time a contraction came. The nurses said that he seemed a little “sleepy”, but we weren’t quite bothered about that. Expecting things to go into the night, I was rather surprised that I was 10cm dilated by 6pm.

Connor arrived at 6.23pm, weighing 3.065kg ― Praise God for a quick and easy birth!

Screamy screamy

We also learnt that he actually had his umbilical cord wound around his neck, which was the reason why his heart rate actually dipped a little during a contraction. Dr Khi said that it was lucky he wasn’t too big and that labour was fast, or I might have had to go through an emergency C-section. Thank God for that.

Bundled tight

Unlike Christian, Connor came into the world wide-eyed, not crying, although he started wailing a few seconds later. Ewan got his daddy-hands busy by cutting the umbilical cord and cradling our little guy.

Here's... Daddy!

And mummy!

First pic with the parents

The difference at Thomson Medical Centre, compared to Mount Alvernia was that they didn’t wash baby yet, just bundled him up and placed him on me, wheeling us both back to the ward. Only later did they take him away for his first bath, while I got some rest for the night.

All washed up

Phew. Sleep time.


By the way, I was starving by then, as I hadn’t had anything to eat all day! Plus the kitchen had closed as it was past 8pm, but the nurses managed to get me a sandwich. I was still starving, so Ewan went out to da pao some Bak Chor Mee. Awesome.

We were extremely excited the next day when my parents brought Christian over. We had prepared him for his brother’s birth by taking him to buy Connor a little toy a few weeks earlier ― a Lamaze toy lion, which Christian eventually claimed for his own, and secretly bought him a Thomas the Train toy and a Chuck the Truck Trailer, with the plan to present it to him, from Connor.

Presents from Baby Connor

I guess Christian didn’t quite understand the concept of the new baby brother at that time, but he sure understood the concept of new toys and was extremely happy when he came by the hospital. Till today, he tells us that those toys were given to him from Baby Connor ― which completely warms our hearts.

With Mama, Pop pop and his first toy from Christian

First family pic

Of course, through these 5 months +, there were times of jealousy and frustration, as we learn to be parents to two little ones, and as Christian grapples with the notion of being a big brother. But through it all, we are honoured and truly blessed to have each other. I leave you with a quick video of Christian sharing his precious trucks with month-old Connor.




Precious moments :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I was searching for birth stories and saw your blog. Congrats on your bundle of joy! I heard that delivery is similar to the feeling of passing motion. Just to check, will we be given laxatives so that no accidents will happen during the actual push? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Adelynn! Yes I was given an enema before labour - simply put, it's an anal laxative. It was awful! The nurses told me to wait 10 minute before going to the bathroom, but trust me, you really feel the pain (like diarrhea) after a minute or two.

    When are you due? Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Mel! I'm due in December, really excited to meet my baby! But at the same time scared of the birth procedures. All along I'm worried about the Epidural and Episiotomy, add in Enema and that will become the terrifying "Triple Es." haha...By the way the enema is it a lot of liquid or just a small amount? I always having constipation problems even before pregnancy so hopefully this enema can help with my "big business." One pregnancy is already so terrifying, can't imagine last time people go through as many as 10 children. Maybe I have a low threshold for pain that's why haha.

    ReplyDelete